Technique Recruitment Solutions
Software Applications Engineer
Technique Recruitment Solutions are a specialist Engineering & Manufacturing recruitment specialist working closely with our Norwich based client who are seeking a Software Applications Engineer to join their growing team
Main purpose of post:
The main purpose of the role is to design, construct and test PLC and / or SCADA software and to produce associated documentation (such as Functional Design Specifications and Test Plans) that fully complies with Standards and contractual requirements.
The successful candidate will ideally have proven experience in PLC logic and programming with any of the following PLCs: Allen Bradley, GE Fanuc, Siemens, Mitsubishi, Omron and HMI and / or SCADA programming and configuration for any of the following platforms: Wonderware, Rockwell and Siemens.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The key objectives of the appointment are to:-
· Understand and interpret the functional / control / system requirements of the project / requirement.
· Where applicable, to design documents including I/O lists, FDS, SDS, test documents, etc.
· Programme PLCs and HMI’s (including but not limited to Allen Bradley, Siemens and Mitsubishi) and where applicable, to configure SCADA systems (namely Wonderware, Rockwell and Siemens). Note: Training will be given where necessary.
· Deliver assigned projects on-time and to cost (in accordance with Standards and contractual requirements)
· Continually demonstrate expert knowledge of computer / PLC logic and flow-charting.
· Understand low voltage electrical systems and drawings
· Attend customer’s sites whenever required always upholding the Company’s Culture and Values.
· Where necessary, to review and repair legacy code
· Conduct system analysis and development, sometimes with limited support from other personnel and to keep systems current with changing technologies and methodologies
· Test and proof programs to ensure that functionality, logic and syntax is correct / in accordance with the FDS and Test Plan
· Document code consistently and in all software so that it can be fully understood by other individuals (internally and externally) and that it fully complies with Standards / expectations / best practice
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and attributes or an interest in progressing within Software Applications
• Excellent IT skills – including, but not limited to, Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Databases.
• Knowledge of SCADA systems and logic auto-generation (from templates).
• Mechanical skills and understanding.
• Knowledge of electrical systems.
• Previous professional experience writing PLC code (Allen Bradley, Siemens and / or Mitsubishi) within a customer-based or customer focused environment.
• Solid report writing skills, including FDS and Test Plans.
• Strong time management skills and motivation – ability to work using own initiative, to deadlines and constraints.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats to internal and external environments.
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude to technical challenges, and flexibility to cope effectively with changes to specifications or priorities
• A good standard of secondary education is required and a Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical / Electronic Engineering would be preferable or equivalent
• Experience within Industry – especially Automotive, Food and Beverage and / or Water and Waste industries.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who wish to start or progress their career within the Software environment. Successful candidates will have opportunities for internal / formal training necessary to attain educational qualifications e.g. HNC, Degree as well as training on Software Applications used by the company such as Allen Bradley, Siemens and Mitsubishi along with the associated graphical interfaces (HMI / SCADA)
Applications are welcomed from candidates who wish to start or progress their career within the Software environment. Selected candidates will have opportunities for internal / formal training necessary to attain educational qualifications e.g. HNC, Degree as well as training on Software Applications used by the company such as Allen Bradley, Siemens & Mitsubishi along with the associated graphical interfaces (HMI / SCADA).
You will have access to the following benefits:
25 days annual leave per year (plus bank holidays).
Share save scheme.
Life Assurance at 3 times your salary.
Formalised paid absence scheme.
Employee Assistance Programme.
Occupational health scheme & direct policy to promote wellbeing policy (including Mental Health First Aiders).
Cycle to work scheme.
Childcare vouchers (where eligible).
Access to a suite of learning & development opportunities.
Training up to degree level (& beyond where strategic).
Birthday gift scheme (for every employee).
Outstanding contribution award scheme (target: quarterly & annually).